A vehicle can not be entered into multiple classes. Bug-a-Palüza Staff reserves the right to re-classify a vehicle if it does not meet the criteria for the class in which it was registered. We also reserve the right to create or delete classes as necessary. Judges will attempt to notify owners if re-classification becomes necessary.
- Beetle Early - Stock 1949-1957
- Beetle Early - Custom 1949-1957
- Beetle Mid - Stock 1958-1967
- Beetle Mid - Custom 1958-1967
- Beetle Late - Stock 1968-1979
- Beetle Late - Custom 1968-1979
- Super Beetle - Stock
- Super Beetle - Custom
- Beetle & Super Beetle Convertibles - Stock
- Beetle & Super Beetle Convertibles - Custom
- Type II Campers
- Type II Transporter & Truck Early
- Type II Transporter & Truck Late
- Type II - Custom
- Type III & Type IV - Stock and Custom
- Thing - Stock
- Thing - Custom
- Karmann Ghia Coupe - Stock
- Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stock
- Karmann Ghia - Custom
- Rail Buggy - Street
- Rail Buggy - Off-Road
- Baja & Off-Road
- Dune Buggies
- Hood Rides
- Volks Rods
- Special Interest
- Kit Cars
- Radical Custom
- New Beetle
- Mk1-Mk2 Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI
- Mk3-Mk4 Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI
- Mk5-Mk6 Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI
- Current Production
“Best Of” Awards
- Best of Show – Air-Cooled
- Best of Show – Water-Cooled
- Best Paint – Air-Cooled
- Best Paint – Water-Cooled
- Best Interior – Air-Cooled
- Best Interior – Water-Cooled
- Best Engine – Air-Cooled
- Best Engine – Water-Cooled
- Best Show Car Display
- Best Camp Site
- Best Sound System
- Engine Sound Off (air-cooled)
- Engine Sound Off (water-cooled)
- Oldest VW in Attendance
- Longest Distance Award
- “It’s Your Coal Truck” (David Johnston Memorial Award)
- Ladies’ Choice
- Club Participation Award
Definitions and Notes
Early – 1949 – 1957
Mid – 1958 – 1967
Late – 1968 to 1979
Stock – For the most part, the vehicle is basically as it left the factory (Restorations OK). No body modifications. Any replacement parts should have a stock appearance. Vehicle may have mild custom modifications as listed below.
- Paint and Body – Does not have to be the original color, but must not distract from a stock appearance (Maximum 2 colors, no heavy metallics, flames, etc.). Must have original style trim and bumpers.
- Wheels/Tires – Common styles of aftermarket wheels OK as long as tires remain near stock size. Very slight lowering allowed.
- Interior – Must have stock style seat covers, door panels, dash. Aftermarket stereo system allowed (as long as it does not distract from an otherwise stock appearance).
- Engine – Stock to very slightly modified. Dual carbs, common styles of aftermarket exhaust systems OK.
Custom – Anything that doesn’t fit in a stock class.
Radical Custom – Severe body modifications, i.e. chopped roof, cut body, custom fabrication work.
Beater – Rusty, unrestored car, mostly original (some custom ok), parts missing. The bottom 3 scores will win in this category.
Hood Ride – Partially hand built, custom, unique "beerifications".
Volks Rod – Extended front end.
Mk1 – Any first-generation body style Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI, typically produced from 1974 to 1984. (Years may vary based on model)
Mk2 – Any second-generation body style Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI, typically produced from 1984 to 1992. (Years may vary based on model)
Mk3 – Any third-generation body style Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI, typically produced from 1992-1999. (Years may vary based on model)
Mk4 – Any fourth-generation body style Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI, typically produced from 1999-2005. (Years may vary based on model)
Mk5 – Any fifth-generation body style Jetta/Golf/Rabbit/GTI, typically produced from 2005-2010. (Years may vary based on model)
Passat – Any generation Passat sedan or wagon B1-B7 and the CC. Includes Dashers and Quantums too. North American built Passats 2012 and newer will compete in Current Production.
Type II – All Buses, Micro-Buses, Transporters, Trucks, Single Cabs, Double Cabs, etc. All Vanagons (air-cooled and water-cooled) will be judged in the Vanagon/Eurovan class.
Rail Buggy – Off-Road – Rail Buggies that show signs of use and/or abuse! Buggies that have obviously never seen mud will be reclassed.
Rail Buggy – Street – Rail Buggies that are built to show and have seen little (if any) off-road action.
Baja and Off-Road – Mostly Beetles, but any VW (except rail buggies) could fit if it has been modified to go off-road (raised suspensions, body lift kits, oversized tires, chopped fenders, etc.).
Dune Buggies – Must have fiberglass body.
Kit Cars – Vehicles built from kits on a stock or modified VW Chassis (except Rails and Dune Buggies)
Trikes – Any three-wheeled VW based vehicle.
Special Interest – Tractors, Air Compressors, Lawnmowers, etc. Anything "partially" VW
Current Production – Covers Mk6 Jettas and Golfs/GTIs, along with any current body style VW. 2012-2016 Beetles and Passats will also compete in this category.
Engine Sound Off – Loudest engine determined by dB reading.
Oldest VW in Attendance – Oldest registered show car. Serial numbers will be compared if necessary.
Longest Distance Award – To the person or persons who traveled furthest (drove) to get to the show.
"It’s Your Coal Truck" – In honor of David Johnston aka The Godfather, who passed away in 2013. The type of car that makes our judges collectively shake their heads in disbelief.